Help with a Federal Agency

One of the most important parts of my job as your Representative is fighting on your behalf.  Too often our friends, family, and neighbors run into difficulty dealing with federal agencies, and they need a strong advocate on their side.  My team and I are here to help.

Whether it’s helping veterans get the benefits they earned through brave service to our country or seniors with Social Security benefits after a lifetime of paying into the system, we will work to make sure you get a fair shake and that your case is given the attention it deserves.  With six district offices spread across northern New Mexico, my team and I will work with you to cut through the red tape that too often gets in the way and delays progress on cases that are so important in the lives of our fellow New Mexicans.

-Ben Ray Luján

How to Open a Case

The most common types of casework occur when constituents do not receive a timely response from a federal agency, when they wish to appeal a decision, or if they have lost important documents.

1. Find out if you live in Rep. Lujan's District.

2. Determine if your case is something Rep. Lujan's office can assist you with.

3. Complete, sign and mail a casework authorization form to Rep. Lujan's office.

If this is an urgent request, please call my Santa Fe office at (505) 984-8950. 

Determining if Our Office Can Help You

Before you contact our office for assistance with your problem, please determine if we can help you with your case. For some problems, we may not have the authority or jurisdiction to help you.

Our office can help you with a federal agency. A federal agency is an organization that reports to the executive branch of the United States government. Examples of such agencies include the Social Security Administration(SSA), the Internal Revenue Service(IRS), the Postal Service (USPS), and the Department of Homeland Security(DHS). If your concern is with a federal agency, our office is authorized to investigate on your behalf.

Remember: you must have already filed an application, petition, formal complaint or otherwise contacted the federal agency in writing before our office can lend a hand.

Some of the things our office can help you with include:

  • Academy Nominations

  • Business Assistance

  • Federal Business Opportunities

  • Grants

  • Immigration

  • Medicare

  • Passports

  • Social Security

  • Student Financial Aid

  • United States Department of Agriculture

  • Veterans Assistance

Cases Our Office Cannot Help You With

Unfortunately, we cannot help you if your problem is with a state or local agency. Examples of local and state issues include:

  • Driver's licenses
  • Worker's compensation
  • Insurance fraud
  • Police and criminal investigations
  • Child support

Also, because of the constitutional separation of powers, judicial matters do not fall under our jurisdiction. Examples of judicial matters include:

  • Divorce, child custody, or other civil disputes
  • Criminal trials

Things You Should Know

  • According to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, our office cannot act as an attorney or offer legal assistance in any way.
  • While our office will make my best efforts to assist you, please remember that federal agencies have discretion concerning decisions on individual cases and have the final say on the outcome.